Dad’s Morning Brew
- I hate it when my kids are sad. I suspect every parent has the same feeling. You want to hug them and make everything better. Yesterday, I had to give Danielle a big hug and tell her that sometimes things just don’t go the way you want. The reason? She lost the class spelling bee for the second year in a row. For the second year in a row, she was a finalist, though. And like me, and her mom, Danielle is a pretty good speller. This year, however, it was the word “quarrelsome” that knocked her out of the running. And for Danielle, who loves an argument, er, debate as much as the next person, that’s especially ironic.
- Cool new blog in OC Family called “College Bound.” Tips for those who have kids headed off to college, or who will soon be. OC FAMILY
- Speaking of being college bound, check out this story in the OC Register about Jserra High School down in South Orange County launching its own Pre-Med Academy. Jserra will team up with Mission Hospital, which is owned by the same group that owns St. Jude and St. Joseph. Sounds like a good deal for students. OC REGISTER
- DAD AND MOM ALERT: According to a new UCLA study, the recession is having dire consequences on the state’s public school system. Click here to see the report.
- Today’s Bad Dad Award goes to none other than former VP running mate to John Kerry and North Carolina Sen. John Edwards. Edwards denied for nearly a year that he was the father of young Frances Quinn Hunter. Now he admits that yes he is the dad. POLITICO Some may remember that Edwards had an affair with the little girl’s mother, videographer Rielle Hunter, while his wife was battling cancer.